Break Up and Break Away to These Destination Escapes
A new divorce or breakup isn’t a reason to wallow – it’s a reason to celebrate! Sure, it’s sad, but look, it just wasn’t right! So pick yourself up and reset with an escape to somewhere that meets your needs. A fairytale luxury escape? A sun-drenched beach holiday? A boozy long weekend? An urban getaway? An outdoor retreat? Rise above all the Valentine’s Day clutter with some top-notch ideas below for travelers in need of an alternative to love.
LUXURY: You’re single – so what? These destinations love you just the way you are and will spoil you rotten if you give them the chance:
- MONACO: The breakup was bad but Monaco is the place to rub elbows with your next high-rolling fling. Tap into luxury at one of six different restaurants in the Principality sharing no fewer than nine Michelin stars between them. If there’s a nice settlement after the divorce, tempt fate at the iconic Monte-Carlo casino. Who’s going to hold you back?
- VIENNA: Feel reborn in this European capital of culture at one of its many music venues to soothe the soul or browse through the city’s art museums. Feel classy and spoil yourself, sipping coffee and nibbling cake in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Book a table for one at Reznicek, Gracein, Brösl, or Ludvig Van to experience the Neo Gasthaus trend, a new wave of local eateries that highlight traditional Viennese food with a modern twist.
- US VIRGIN ISLANDS: Stella went to Jamaica to get her groove back, but new divorcees should try the US Virgin Islands. Hide away at Lovango Resort & Beach Club, a sustainable luxury resort situated on a private island overlooking Caneel Bay. On St. Croix, dance the night away on the beach at eco-friendly Fred Resort and Spa. Splurge on boutique restaurants like Savant (STX), the Hamilton (STX), Tu Chez (STX),and The Easterly (STT), where you’ll find fusion cuisine merging African, Dutch, French, Caribbean and Spanish influences.
SUN: Heat things up again in destinations where sun, sea, and sand are just the beginning of your own personal renaissance:
- BARBADOS: It’s independence day for the newly unattached, and there’s no better place to create some fireworks than on the island of Barbados. Little Arches Boutique Hotel, Sandals Royal Barbados and The House by Elegant Hotels are some of the adults-only resorts offering a plethora of luxurious amenities. Reconnect with nature on a cave tour to Harrison’s Cave, SCUBA diving beneath the water’s surface or sailing along the palm tree-laden coastline in a catamaran. And as the birthplace of rum, well, a cocktail is never far away!
- FLORIDA: Celebrate your freedom with some sun in the year-round destination that is Florida. Destinations across the state boast beaches, adventure experiences, and chances to reconnect with the most important person in the world – YOU. Head to church, but not to the altar at the Lily Hall hotel in Pensacola, formerly home to the Mount Olive Baptist Church from 1928-1982, but now a luxury experience. Drown out your woes at the 65th annual DAYTONA 500, NASCAR’s biggest and most prestigious event, kicking off NASCAR’s 75th anniversary season this February. Plus, the Florida Aquarium will allow scorned lovers to name a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach after an ex for a donation of $10.
- GREATER MIAMI & MIAMI BEACH: Try to think of a better place to hit rest than Greater Miami & Miami Beach. It offers year-round sunshine, beautiful beaches, a bustling social scene, tons of culture, and ample spas for much-needed relaxation. Get some friends together and book a luxury yacht during the day before hitting the epic nightlife and letting go of your inhibitions. Take advantage of Spring in Miami programming, welcoming visitors from all backgrounds and lifestyles to experience a packed calendar of cultural events and happenings.
BOOZE: Raise a glass or five in these destinations where drinking local wine and spirits is not the only reason to go, but no one is complaining about them:
- CHATTANOOGA: Now that you’re single, reconnect with yourself in Chattanooga, a city that blends nature with culture and, of course, some spirits. Chattanooga may not have invented the whiskey, but it certainly has perfected it. Embark on a whiskey tour and tasting at the Chattanooga Whiskey Co. or head to the Edwin Hotel’s rooftop where The Whiskey Thief awaits with more than 100 types available. Feel kneaded at the Ama Spa, located on the lobby level of the Edwin Hotel, where the Whiskey & Wellness offers a sobering hour of pure pampering.
- LOUISVILLE: What better way to celebrate being single than with a romp along the Kentucky Bourbon Trail? Louisville is the only city in the world with more than 10 distillery experiences, a bourbon cocktail and culinary trail, bourbon-themed accommodations and bourbon-centric shopping. On Feb. 10, Maddox & Rose Marketplace is even holding a Galentine’s Slumber Party for any single ladies who want to sip unique cocktails and celebrate life – without partners!
- LOUDOUN COUNTY: Loudoun County is C.’s wine country, home to more than 50 wineries and tasting rooms, making it the perfect destination for an exciting wine journey. Grab brunch Loudoun staples such as Shoes Cup & Cork, King Street Oyster Bar, and Magnolias at the Mill.
CITIES: Celebrate being single by surrounding yourself with people – and potential suitors – while exploring the cultural offerings and dining venues in cities where you didn’t want to be tied down anyway:
- BALTIMORE: Known as “Charm City,” the river-side town of Baltimore, Maryland, is the perfect getaway to celebrate your divorce or break-up. Treat yourself to the Ultimate Zen package at The IVY Hotel, with ultra-hydrating full body exfoliation and body wrap. Try something new with a cooking class from Baltimore Chef Shop. Break out of your comfort zone at Mobtown Ballroom in Pigtown, where you can sign up for drop in swing dance sessions on Monday and Friday nights.
- KISSIMMEE: Scream out your frustration on a roller coaster or spend a day sipping drinks by the pool when you escape to Kissimeee, Florida. Just 25 minutes from Orlando International Airport, Kissimmee is easy to get to, and with deals at Margaritaville Resort to extend your stay, it’s a no-brainer. Head out to Sunset Walk for shopping and dining without the fuss of worrying about what your former other half wants to do.
- SAN ANTONIO: Remember the Alamo. Forget your ex. When it comes to loosening the knot, there’s no better place to sever ties with the ol’ ball and chain than San Antonio, Texas. Throw a divorce party at the Howl at the Moon or Merkaba, located just a wedding ring-toss from the famed River Walk – both offer options for the newly single. Head to the Hiatus Spa at Hotel Emma for The Knockout deep tissue massage enhanced with The Knot Today treatment using CBD oil for a deeper relaxation with a side of no regrets.
- ST. LOUIS: Ditch romance and celebrate your newfound freedom without worrying about the “kiss cam.” Catch a game at St. Louis’ brand-new soccer stadium, St. Louis CITY SC. Spectators will be welcomed by 52 food and drink stations in the stadium fueled by local chefs and businesses, the most in major league soccer. Inspired by both local and international cuisine, Balkan Treat Box, BEAST Craft BBQ Co., Steve’s Hot Dogs and Niche Food Group are among the very long list of dining options,
OUTDOORS: Want to celebrate being single with Mother Nature? These destinations require no spouse, just a pair of good boots and an attraction to adrenaline:
- REDDING: After Cheryl Strayed’s marriage went awry, she went Wild – remember the Reese Witherspoon film? Reconnect with your single self in Redding, California where hiking, fishing, caving, tubing or cycling and skiing are all a way of life. TIME Magazine called Redding the “unofficial capital of kayaking” with kayakers dominating the waterways belonging to the Sacramento River and Whiskeytown Lake.
- SAN LUIS OBISPO: For those who want to burn off those extra glasses of wine or cake consumed during the mourning period, San Luis Obispo, California, has all of the biking and hiking you need to get that body into full revenge shape. A Mid Weekend Getaway is taking place through March 30, 2023. Book a two-night stay from Sunday-Thursday at a participating hotel and enjoy a rendezvous with Ben Franklin – guests take home $100 cash to throw down on some pampering.
VERMONT: Sexy ski instructor? Not a bad way to rebound from a breakup. Get moving (on) and hit the slopes at one of Ski Vermont’s 22 ski resorts. On select days in February and March, check out the 2023 Ski Vermont Specialty Food Day Tour, a pop-up farmer’s market style event that showcases all the unique products that Vermont offers, all at the base of the mountains