What’s New on Mackinac Island
MACKINAC ISLAND, MI – April 7, 2022 – Mackinac Island Tourism today unveiled exciting new updates visitors can look forward to seeing on the island this season, including the return of signature events, an expansive outdoor activity center heading to the Grand Hotel, new restaurants and more.
“There’s truly something special and nostalgic about being on Mackinac Island, if you’ve been here, you know what I’m talking about,” said Tim Hygh, Mackinac Island Tourism Bureau Executive Director. “We look forward to welcoming visitors back in a big way each spring and we’re excited to showcase the renovations and changes our community has been hard at work implementing since last season.”
One of the island’s most notable updates is the Grand Hotel’s addition of the Woodlands Activity Center to provide outdoor enthusiasts with new ways to experience adventure on the island. Slated to open later this summer, the center features a new BMX bike path, an 18-hole miniature golf course dubbed “The Gem”, pickleball courts, and a greenhouse nature center.
For those seeking a quieter island experience, Little Luxuries boutique will offer several new products and will host artist trunk shows through the summer featuring talented Michigan makers. Also, local destination shop Brewsters of Mackinac at Surrey Hill has welcomed new ownership and will offer an expanded selection of island gifts and clothing items. For the culture seeker, new classes will be available at the Watercolor Cafe and Wings of Mackinac Butterfly Conservatory will offer surprising additions to celebrate its 25th anniversary.
Culinary options available on Mackinac Island are also expanding, most notably with the addition of Mackinac Island Pizza Co. Set to open later this summer, the new Grand Hotel eatery will focus on Detroit-style pizza and offer hungry guests both dine-in and takeout options. Other updates include Mission Point’s new Executive Chef John Clements who will elevate the resort’s farm-to-ferry cuisine, as well as a revamped hospitality experience at Ice House BBQ complete with an outdoor pizza oven, new rustic bar, and expanded garden seating. And for dessert, Guernsey has unveiled Mackinac Island Lilac Ice Cream as its latest flavor to be enjoyed exclusively at Sadie’s Ice Cream Parlor.
Mackinac Island is welcoming back numerous events throughout the season, including the beloved Lilac Festival, Fourth of July Fireworks Display, Fudge Festival, and Halloween weekend. Thrilling sporting events such as the Bayview Mackinac Race and Chicago Yacht Club Race To Mackinac will also provide entertainment for spectators on the island.
Mackinac Island is ushering in upgraded amenities at it’s range of full-service resorts, delightful hotels and quaint bed and breakfasts, including:
- The Chippewa Hotel has updated its 25-person hot tub to include a pink pony mosaic and has also installed new walk-in showers, as well as carpet and mattresses throughout rooms.
- The historic Grand Hotel is introducing a range of new hospitality updates across the property and will be opening the Woodlands Activity Center to both guests and visitors later this spring.
- The family-owned Island House Hotel has resurfaced the indoor pool and spa, updated interior corridors and stairwells, and replaced the carpeted floors with hardwood in a number of rooms.
- Mission Point Resort has made several key updates, including a major enhancement of patio deck seating at Round Island Kitchen, new private hot tubs for the 14 suites and renovated deck areas, and a brand new bar area and connecting hallway in the Main Lodge lobby.
- Lilac Tree Suites located downtown has completely remodeled its lobby, added new walk-in showers to rooms, and restored its balcony fronts.
Transportation to the beloved island will also see some changes this season with the Hoffman family recently taking the helm of Shepler’s Ferry as new owners. Star Line Mackinac Island Ferry and Shepler’s Mackinac Island Ferry will both resume regular shuttle services on April 21.
For more information and to stay up-to-date on season updates, packages, and general happenings, please visit: https://www.mackinacisland.org/.