Travelers Booking Edu-Vacations: Chance for Kids to Learn Outside the Classroom
The edu-vaction — a top 2022 Spring travel trend — was born from the concern that students are falling behind due to pandemic-related disruptions, and suggests that families are gravitating towards trips that afford their kids opportunities to learn beyond the classroom, while also having fun on their travels.
These travel experiences and educational packages include things like:
- Explore Sarasota’s Local Marine Wildlife:
In partnership with local non-profit and marine research organization, Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium, The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota’s new family package includes a private beach walk safari, Mote Marine Aquarium tickets, opportunity to adopt your very own animal via Mote’s Adopt an Animal Program, and access to a menu of Mote Marine Teas in the resort’s dining outlets with a portion of these proceeds donated back to Mote Marine.
- Kelp and Seaweed Foraging in California:
Marley Family Seaweeds in San Luis Obispo offers a 90-minute hands-on kelp foraging experience in which participants hunt for greens to prepare their own delicious ramen. Kelpful, a female-run regenerative ocean farm provides Seaweed Foraging Classes in which guests will learn to identify, sustainably harvest, and prepare local wild seaweeds.
- Become a Junior Naturalist in Kiawah Island:
The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort’s Junior Naturalists program allows kids to immerse in the interrelated ecosystems that make up the Barrier Islands of the South Carolina Lowcountry, as well as the plants and animals that depend on them. Led by on-site naturalists, the program includes four classes that focus on various aspects of the barrier island: Marsh Discovery, Bugs & Birds, Herpetology for Hatchlings, and Maritime Meander.
- Master the Art of Sandcastle Architecture in South Walton:
- Servicing the 16 distinct beach neighborhoods in South Walton, SandCastle Rockstars provides fun sandcastle building lessons and workshops. Participants will meet designated instructors directly on the beach who will provide them with all the tools, tips, and tricks to tap their inner creativity and help build their largest sandcastle ever.
- Fossils and Native American heritage at Agate Fossil Beds National Monument, Nebraska:
The “Touching Table” and Park Fun tips invite kids for a hands-on, sensory experience at Agate Fossil Beds National Monument. Check out the world’s leading source of full skeleton species of Miocene mammals, learn about Lakota and Cheyenne heritage, and become a junior ranger at the Visitor Center. Then head outdoors to hike the trails and see historic dig sites.
With summer travel just around the corner, this trend is especially timely.