Spring into Whiteface Lodge
As bouts of sunshine increase (and snow cover hangs on), we enter the spring ski sweet spot. It’s a great time to escape to Whiteface Lodge in Lake Placid, New York, for a well-deserved mountain retreat.
Lake Placid is considered one of America’s best mountain towns. Cruising the ski runs is a favorite draw, of course, but today I’d like to suggest ways to round-out that spring getaway – with both couples and families in mind.
- Ice Skating at the Olympic Oval: With a visit to the Olympic Oval in Lake Placid, sweethearts can spend an afternoon or evening gleefully gliding around the same ice where Olympic dreams came true in 1980 and 1932.
- Visit Gallery 46: Stop by Lake Placid’s Gallery 46 to shop for works from local artists, photographers, and jewelers. It’s a great find for vacation gifts.
- Sip cocktails in a Lean-To: A structure unique to the Adirondacks and a signature at Whiteface Lodge, guests can cuddle up for an alfresco nightcap in front of the firepit as they stare at the evening stars cuddled under blankets and recapping their day of mountain adventuring.
- Unwind with a massage for two: Couples can book a Tandem Massage at The Spa at Whiteface Lodge or try other favorites like Therapeutic Swedish or Deep Tissue massage to melt stress away.
- Visit the Miracle on Ice: Olympics and hockey fans can have their own Miracle on Ice moment while visiting the site of the 1980 Winter Olympics and host rink for the USSR vs. USA Miracle on Ice game.
- Explore The Wild Center in Tupper Lake: Take a walk on the wild side on the Wild Walk, which takes visitors up a trail of bridges to the treetops of the Adirondack forest to get a bird’s eye view of the surrounding area, with fun stops along the way.
- Snack on S’mores: End the night as happy campers at Whiteface Lodge’s nightly campfires toasting and snacking on s’mores.
- Visit the High Falls Gorge waterfalls at their peak: Explore the half-mile walk around the gorge that takes visitors along the AuSable River to view four remarkable waterfalls: Rainbow Falls, Climax Falls, Mini Falls, and the Main Falls. Due to runoff from melting snow, springtime is ideal for viewing the four immense waterfalls at their strongest.
- Enjoy a scenic ride on the Cliffside Coaster: Race alongside the 1980 bobsled track on the longest Mountain Coaster in the U.S. and learn about the Lake Placid Sliding Center’s inspiring Olympic history.
- Roll a strike at the Bowling Alley: Strike up a match at Whiteface Lodge’s own bowling alley and let the good times roll.
About the Resort:
Whiteface Lodge is a AAA Four Diamond-rated all-suite luxury resort nestled in the heart of it all in Lake Placid. Its COVID-19 related safety measures are outlined here.
In addition to being minutes away from some of the most popular skiing destinations in the region, Whiteface Lodge offers a resort-inclusive concept, including complimentary amenities such as a 56-seat movie theater, ice-skating rink with free skates to borrow, access to snowshoe trails with complimentary equipment available, and nightly campfires with a s’mores kit available on request.
Guests can enjoy fine dining at the resort’s premier restaurant, KANU, or sip craft cocktails and enjoy casual fare in the lounge at Peak 47.