One-of-a-Kind Valentine’s Day Destinations for Every Type of Traveler
Is this the year you make Valentine’s Day something special?
Is this the year you turn Valentine’s Day into a romantic destination escape.
Then read on to learn about six trip options that will make 2023 an unforgettable Valentine’s Day experience.
Where To Stay: Montage Healdsburg
Montage Healdsburg is located on 258-acres in the heart of California’s world-renowned Sonoma wine country and is the first Montage property in Northern California. Built within the constraints of the natural landscape, the transformative hideaway offers 130 bungalow-style rooms and 40 privately Montage Residences settled among oak trees and vine-covered hills with a contemporary aesthetic.
- Valentine’s Day Programming:
- Mushroom Foray: Noted as one of the best places in the country for mushroom foraging, the Russian River Valley’s nutrient-rich soil and winter rainfall make it the ideal habitat for wild mushrooms and local flora. For couples seeking a memorable foraging excursion, the experienced and passionate mycologist guides guests through nearby hills and meadows, teaching the fundamentals of mushroom foraging and the fungus’ unique role in our ecosystem. Couples can connect with nature and savor the flavors of the forest, ending the day with a newfound appreciation for Sonoma County’s fascinating natural environment.
- 100-Point Wine Tour: Oenophiles can experience the best of Sonoma with a visit to two select vineyards producing some of the most sought-after wines currently being crafted: Lokoya and Vérité wines have each received the perfect “100”-point rating from Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate, the world’s most trusted authority in wine. Along with local expert Steve Thomasson and his team, you will be transported to each location aboard an ultra-luxury vehicle that will best accommodate group size, including the option of a new, custom wine country Venture Van with a convertible roof for open-air excursions.
- The Sky’s The Limit: Designed as an exclusive opportunity for guests to enjoy the stunning setting, connect with nature and absorb the natural wonders of the night sky, The Sky’s the Limit $95,000 astrotourism package brings together the best of the valley and beyond to provide guests a one-of-a-kind, experience for up to six guests (three couples):
- Private roundtrip flights and airport transfers via Jet Edge (Montage’s exclusive global partner for private aviation)
- Two nights in the resort’s premier three-bedroom Guest House, a transformative 4,600-square-foot hideaway perched high on a knoll with sprawling views of Mount St. Helena and the rolling vineyards of Alexander Valley
- Curated dinner on the Guest House terrace overlooking the Mayacamas mountain range
- Private tour of the Robert Ferguson Observatory and use of telescopes, guiding guests through the constellations
- Two-hour photography session with acclaimed astrophotographer Rachid Dahnoun to create a limited-edition night sky image, including a photo featuring the guests, to take home (Nikon 100 List, photos have made it to the cover of National Geographic’s Night Sky of North America featuring his spectacular Milky Way shots)
Where To Stay: Juniper Preserve
Juniper Preserve, a recently rebranded wellness destination in the Pacific Northwest, will celebrate Valentine’s Day by indulging love in all forms – from self-acceptance and platonic to romantic and familiar. Over the holiday weekend, guests will be welcomed to Juniper Spa and its unique wellness venues, like a natural lava cave and plush teepee, to experience the harmonious balance of offerings nestled amongst century-old juniper forests and the majestic Cascade Mountains.
Beyond the traditional treatments rooted in ancient practices, the spa will offer the following:
- Designated Romance – couples can enjoy a romantic home away from home in the treatment suite, Aspen, where they will be pampered with herbal-infused oils made from foraged plants and traditional Ayurvedic, Japanese, Nordic, and Western practices.
- Specially Curated with Love – guests and visitors can enjoy a special Valentine’s Day full body massage with luxurious cocoa and coconut oils to nourish and nurture the body. Treatments will be complemented by chef-made chocolate-covered strawberries offered all weekend in Vana, the tranquil spa reception room.
- Transformative Togetherness – Saturday evening, all guests are welcome to join in a deeply transformative breathwork experience led by the director of wellness, where guests can learn a powerful technique to release accumulated stress, trauma and tension and kickstart the body’s natural ability to heal and repair itself – a perfect awakening for singles and couples alike!
CLE ELUM, WASHINGTON
Where to Stay: Suncadia Resort
Situated on 6,000+ acres of forested mountain landscape and nestled 80 miles east of Seattle on the sunny side of the Cascade Mountains, Washington’s premier all-seasons mountain destination offers a home away from home to explore and unplug in nature. By day, couples can enjoy cross-country skiing, ice skating, sledding, snowmobiling, fat tire biking, guided winter fly fishing floats, archery and snowshoeing before heading to LEED-certified Glade Spring Spa for the Date Night for Two package for an invigorating evening dip in the outdoor heated mineral pools and sauna, charcuterie board and mimosa flight in hand. Brew lovers can participate in the Snowshoe & Brew Tour – a four mile trek to Roslyn, WA, complete with a stop at the state’s oldest continuously operated saloon for local craft beers.
- Romance Package includes overnight accommodations, chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine upon arrival and a $150 dining credit for a romantic dinner at The Stovehouse or Portals, with spa add-ons including: Chocolate Dipped Indulgence, Date Night at the Spa, and rituals such as TARA Wellness Ritual, Essence One Shower Ritual and Knesko Gemstone Masks Ritual. Month of Love Guide
Where to Stay: Thompson Austin
Celebrating Austin’s rebel spirit and Hill Country heritage throughout the bold design, the new luxury, contemporary Thompson Austin offers 212 guestrooms and suites, as well as 17 residences; a signature all day dining restaurant and bar concept including alfresco poolside terrace dining, billiards room and more; infinity pool and wellness center and over 10,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor event space.
- Valentine’s Day Offerings:
- Rooms with Heart: February is National Heart Awareness Month. As a Life is Why supporter and in partnership with the American Heart Association, Thompson + tommie will donate 20% of stays booked with promo code: HEART
- Romantic Bites: From James Beard award-winning Chef Mashama Bailey and partner Johno Morisano located adjacent to Thompson Austin’s lobby, the fine-dining restaurant and lively, convivial bar – Diner Bar –will offer a Prix Fixe Menu for Two. The bar top will also offer a limited a la carte bar menu with Valentine’s Day specials. Reservations |
Where to Stay: Grand View Lodge
Spread over 750 acres in the quaint community nestled in the heart of the Brainerd Lakes area, often referred to as one of the finest “small towns in America,” the iconic lakeside retreat offers a variety of private, luxury accommodations – from boutique hotel suites to traditional cabins and spacious villas perfect for family travel – 45 holes of championship golf, 2,500 feet of sandy beach on Gull Lake, numerous dining options, and the newly renovated Glacial Waters Spa. A quintessential year-round getaway, guests can enjoy snowshoeing, XC skiing, ice skating, horse-drawn carriage rides, snowmobiling, sledding and more. The recreation club, NorthPark, includes indoor and outdoor lap pools, outdoor jacuzzi, fitness studio, gym, waterslide, cornhole stadium and kids club.
Valentine’s Day Offerings:
- Igloos On The Rocks: Cozy up with warm blankets and enjoy an cocktail all the while in an enclosed, transparent igloo. Shielded from the cold temps and in the safety and privacy of your own bubble, these heated igloos are perfect for taking in the winter wonderland in the coziest way possible. ($50 rental fee to reserve an igloo for two hours; blankets and heater provided; food available to order off the pub menu; beverage service provided)
- Glacial Waters Spa: Opened in June 2022 following a complete renovation, the new spa offers a State-of-the-art Himalayan salt room; Vichy shower room; new outdoor hot tub; saunas; locker rooms and treatment rooms; upgraded relaxation room; new treatment (including specialty scrubs, body wraps and hydrotherapy treatments)
- Couples can enjoy the Spa Relaxation Package, which includes deluxe lodging and daily breakfast; $100 spa credit per person; unlimited use of sauna, steam room and outdoor hot tub; access to the ice skating rink, snowshoeing and cross country ski trails.
CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA
Where To Stay: The Mills House Hotel
- Valentine’s Day programming: With its cobblestoned streets, living history, charming townhomes, and abundance of restaurants and bars, Charleston is one of the most romantic cities to visit for Valentine’s Day. And if Charleston was made for romance, the city has met it’s match In The Mills House Hotel. The famous and photogenic “pink hotel” provides the perfect backdrop for a couple’s weekend, with renovated new suites available for a romantic upgrade. Couples hoping to take their romance even further can book the Romeo & Juliet package, which includes a balcony room, welcome champagne, in-room flowers, a dessert amenity for two, and credit (up to $75) to be used at the lush and very elegant Iron Rose restaurant and garden lounge. As an added bonus, through February 28, 2023, The Mills House is offering a 15% discount on stays of two nights or more.